As you execute a search you will be using the search box located in the start panel. Then Vista will start searching the file index without any prompting. Keep in mind that the file index will be very big due to the fact that it has all files included on your hard drive. If you are looking to speed up your searching methods then you can try this. Go to your Start Menu and narrow down the scope of the search. In other words try to narrow down what you are looking for. Instead of a general term use something more specific. There are two ways in which you can do this.
The first way is called the Registry hack and for that this is what you have to do.
- Step one: Open up the registry editor using the word regedit.
- Step Two: Guide to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer and then choose the Advanced key.
- Step Three: Locate and then right click on the Start_Search Files and then select the Modify key.
- Step Four: You now have to change the Value to Zero.
- Step Five: Then restart your Explorer.exe or you can simply just reboot the computer.
If this method does not work for you then you can try this:
- Step One: Using your mouse right click on the Start button and then choose the Properties key.
- Step Two: then click on the button that says Customize.
- Step Three: Then see all of the checked items, uncheck the Search Communications.
- Step Four: Then reset the search files to the setting Donâ€™t Search for files.
- Step Five: Click the Ok button.
2. Increase your SATA Disk Drive Performance
If you are looking to increase your SATA Disk Drive Performance you can definitely do so. What your first step is in doing so is setting up your write caching. But keep in mind as you do that there is a risk of data loss and corruption in the event of a power loss. This loss is only significant in a personal computer, the risk is a lot less in a lap top because, it runs on batteries.
To increase the SATA Disk Drive performance you can follow these simple steps:
- Step One: Start by clicking on the Start Button and then enter the Device Manager and then hit the enter key.
- Step Two: Expand the Disk Drives so they are not carrying too much information which will slow them down.
- Step Three: Then right clock on the hard disk drive and then choose the Properties key.
- Step Four: Then where it says Policies, you want to have checked off the Enabled Advanced Performance key.
- Step Five: The click the Ok button and then close the device manager and you are all set.
3. Speed Up your Windows Vista Aero
The way Windows Vista is set up is really just for show. But because it is a new systems it can decrease the speed of your system. There are really only two ways to increase the speed of the Aero interface that is on your Vista system.
The first way is to Disable the Transparent Glass Effect:
- Step One: Click on the Desktop icon on your screen and then choose Personalize.
- Step Two: Choose the Windows Color and Appearance of your choice.
- Step Three: Make sure you remove the check from the enable Transparency key.
The second way to speed up the Aero is to remove the Windows Minimum and Maximize the Animation key. You can do this by:
- Step One: Start by clicking the Start Menu and then enter the System Properties Performance and then hit the enter key.
- Step Two: When you see the Visual Effects section, remove the check mark from the Animate Windows When Minimizing and Maximizing.
- Step three: Click Ok.
4. Windows Powered Smart Display
What is the Windows Powered Smart Display ?
What this is, is part of the Windows XP Professional Desktop. It is used in conjunction with the Remote Desktop Connection which is used through a wireless LAN link. This link is then used to get into your XP desktop from anywhere in the wireless range. So in other words, it is a remote wireless connection that your computer can use as along as the computer sits in the range of the wireless access.
Here are some other features that the Smart Display has:
The Smart Display has some great features, there is an on the screen keyboard which actually uses handwriting recognition software. It will allow you to use a USB mouse and keyboard if you are not used to the onscreen device yet . It can be used with a docking station and a mouse and keyboard. It is like using a small desktop computer from anywhere in the house or office. You have to keep in mind that the Smart Display itself does not have any file storage at all but the information that you use on the Smart Display will actually be stored on your desktop.
5. User Access Control
The User Access Control, this does not have to be used and can be turned off by simply clicking the Start button and then click the new Tools Menu and then scroll down and then when you see the access control key click it off. Then reboot your system.
6. Run as Administrator
You have to check because there is some software that you will not be able to install, even though you are logged in as an Admin. Simply right click in the mouse in the setup file and simply choose the Run as Administrator.
7. Added Wi-Fi Security
Added Wi-Fi Security, When you are looking for more security, go into the Network and Sharing menu and then click on Customize and choose the Public key . This will tighten up your Wi-Fi security when you are on public Wi-Fi.
8. Add Copy as Path
Simply hitting the shift key and then right click on a folder or you can choose any icon adds Copy as path and Open as command window here, you can edit them to the Windows Defender. Open up the Windows Defender and then click on the Tools key and then click on the Software Explorer and then take off the programs that you donâ€™t want to run.
9. Keyboard short cut secret
Using a left to right format give the icons on your Quick Launch bar a number, this way you can launch the icons in order of preference.
10. Free Up More Space on your computer
In order to do this you can use the Windows Disk Cleanup . This will get rid of files that you donâ€™t use, it will also get rid of memory and other operating system that contain files of unwanted material. By getting rid of the junk you can free up a lot of space for the important things you need.